SIX-YEAR-OLD MEGHALI KNOW THEM ALL (!!!)COUNTRIES, CAPITALS, MOUNTAINS AND RIVERS…..
She is just six years old, but she is already a human search engine in the making. Meet child prodigy Meghali Malbika Swain who has all the information about geography at her finger tips.
Ask her the name of any country and its neighboring countries, Meghali would blink for a moment, imagine their location in the map and effortlessly tell you the names. If you are not impressed, then go on and ask her a country’s capital, its currency and its major mountains or rivers. She will not disappoint you.
Today i.e. 16th Nov, 2012 fortunately I met her father Prafulla Kumar Swain an (OAS), Odisha Administrative Officer at Chatrapur, Ganjam, Odisha and share few hours spell bound after my interaction. She is normal kid. But at home, she is in her own world taking in all the information she can access.
Meghali is a bubbly kid like others her age. She studies in standard 1 in the city’s DAV Public school. At school, she is normal kid. But at home, she is in her own world taking in all the information she can access. “When my daughter was just a four-year-old, I spotted the extraordinary talent in her. At that time, she was not even able to properly identify alphabets. But to everybody’s surprise, she could memorise the names of all the countries,” She is normal kid. But at home, she is in her own world taking in all the information she can access.
While asked to Mr.Swain he said, “When my daughter was just a four-year-old, I spotted the extraordinary talent in her. At that time, she was not even able to properly identify alphabets. But to everybody’s surprise, she could memorise the names of all the countries. Every day, I keep answering a number of queries she throws at me. If anybody thinks she has memorized world geography after being tutored intensely, then he is wrong. As parents, we don’t belive in burdening the child at such a tender age. It is her astonishing curiosity that has made her what she is
Astonishingly, she will also tell you where a river originates and where it falls. It seems she has captured the world atlas in her mind.
Her parents are anxious to avoid distractions. “We don’t let her watch television. We are afraid that with her incredible grasping power, she might pick up distracting habits,” Mr. Swain said.
Her parents have not decided on her career. “Unnecessary burden could lead her nowhere, Mr. Swain said. Of late, Meghali has picked up interest in the socio-economic situation of various countries. She can tell which countries are rich and which are not.
About Meghali: -
- She has an excellent knowledge and grasp over world physical Geography. She can identify and locate Physical features across the world with reference to the countries / continent i.e. Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Peninsulas, Islands, Deserts, Oceans, Seas, Bays, Gulfs, Straights (Connects and separates), Channels, Rivers (origin, flow and empties into), tributaries, etc.
In a “Blank World Map” she can identify and locate any countries or any physical features of world.
- Most importantly, she can name “the Neighboring Countries” of any of the 193 countries of the world with cent percent accuracy. For example take Ghana or Serbia or any of the 196 countries of the world she will name the countries/ physical features neighbour/ border/adjacent to it.
- Memorised “the CAPITALS & CURRENCIES” of all countries of the world.
- Able to “Identify/Recognise the FLAGS” of any of the 196 countries of the world.
- Her remarkable achievements were appreciated and Telecast (when she was only 5 years old )in Electronic Media ETV (Odiya) on 30th April-11, OTV”(Odiya)Sahara Parikrama on 28th Sept.-11 Naxatra News (Odiya) on 18th Nov-11, The UTV (Berhampur) on 19th Nov. – 11. Please refer youtube ---nimijhia.flv (first video).
- Published on The Telegraph (19th Nov.-11) The Samaj on 5th Aug-11, The Anupam Bharat on 17th No.-11 The Indus Valley Times on 18th Jan. - 11 , The Enadu(Telugu) on 6th Dec. 11,The Sambad 22nd Aug-12(Dakhin Odissa Special, The Hindu 5th Nov 2012 (some paper clippings appended),.
Name: Meghali Malbika Swain,
DOB: 7th Feb. 2006
Education: Standard-1(Continuing),DAV Public School,Unit-VIII,Bhubaneswar
Contact: Prafulla Kumar Swain (OAS) ODISHA (Ph. +919937975446)